What do you look for in a potential candidate?
Great candidates come from all walks of life, and there really isn't one set-in-stone formula for what makes a great candidate. However, we can offer you a few pointers to get you started on your search.
1. Great candidates are involved, both in their communities and in the Democratic Process, and approach leadership with a servant's heart.
2. They know the issues and they know the community they desire to serve.
3. They have demonstrated a commitment to others by volunteering for other Democratic candidates, volunteering for the Party, and by voting in Democratic Primaries.
4. They embody Democratic values in their day-to-day lives, and are not planning on running as a Democrat just because Democrats make up the majority of voters in the community they wish to serve.
5. They serve on the Summit County Democratic Central Committee.
So, you're ready to run for office, but you're not sure about what the next steps are. You've come to the right place!
If you, or someone you know, are planning on running for office as a Democrat in Summit County, it is highly recommended that you make contact with the Democratic Party in order to go over your plans. Our Chair, our Executive Director, or another party officer will be happy to assist you in evaluating your options and determining what resources may be available to you as you finalize your plans. We believe that running for office is at the heart of the American dream, and while the sacrifices a candidate must make on the campaign trail are many, they are far outweighed by the results of having good Democrats in office at every level of government.